Duration: 2 days of instruction (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Certificate of Completion provided
16 Continuing Education Activity Points (CEAPs) may be awarded towards recertification if applicable
Cost: 1.100,00 CHF
Looking to strengthen your media skills? Wondering what to say and what not to say during the pandemic or during any other emergency or crisis? This two-day workshop covers everything you need to know to communicate effectively with the media in this “new normal” and beyond. Innovative and interactive, the workshop includes presentations, case studies, videos, open discussion, as well as group activities and exercises.SEE YOURSELF IN ACTION: To help participants gain comfort in front of the camera, one-on-one interviews and a mock press conference will be held and recorded for in-class review, with clips provided to each participant afterwards for their own personal review and reference.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
1. Understand the importance of communicating quickly and effectively during an emergency
2. Know the top crisis communications tips and tools of the trade
3. Communicate more effectively, both internally and externally, during an emergency or crisis
4. Speak confidently to the media and public in various settings, including one-on-one interviews, media scrums, Zoom and other online interviews and press conferences
5. Pass the 20-question multiple choice exam
– Crisis communications principles, priorities, and fundamentals
– Communicating to and with the media
– The role of the media during a crisis
– Social media and emergency management
– The spokesperson’s role during a crisis
– Statements vs. news releases vs. press conferences
– Common mistakes when dealing with media
– Media “traps” and how to avoid them
– How to handle a live interview
– How to handle a Zoom or other online interview
– How to handle a press conference
– Mock press conference exercise (offered during classroom training, not online)
– Exam/knowledge check (20-25 multiple choice questions)
** The course also focuses on the new era of Emergency Management & Crisis Communications, including new and emerging cybersecurity, terrorism, civil unrest, health emergencies and other growing risks and associated crisis communications considerations.
For in-person courses:
This course will be held in-person and the exam will be held on the morning of the final day. As soon as you are finished taking the exam, you will be able to leave for the day. A computer is required for this course in order for you to take the exam. The system requirements will be sent to you via email together with information about how to access the course materials prior to the start of the course.
For courses held online:
All online courses are held via Zoom and a computer is required for this course. The system requirements will be sent to you via email together with information about how to access the course materials prior to the start of the course. You will also be provided with instructions for how to take the exam online following the course.
Please fill the form below so we can contact you to discuss your training and certification requirements